“I did however used to think, you know, in the woods walking and as a kid playing in the woods, that there was a kind of immanence there – that woods and places of that order had a sense, a kind of presence, that you could feel; that there was something peculiarly, physically present, a feeling of place almost conscious . . . like God. It evoked that.”
Grounding is an exercise that can be used to connect our energy to that of Mother Earth. This practice can assist in relaxing and calming all levels of our being including the mind and body, leaving us feeling relaxed and at peace. It can be done with the feet flat on the floor or ground outside in either a sitting or standing position.
The benefits of grounding include:
- Brings our awareness of life to matter allowing our healing abilities to manifest physically.
- Increases strength, balance and stability in our physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual states.
- Helps bring acceptance that we are here to fulfill a purpose.
- Helps in creating a bridge between spirit and matter (center above to center below).
- Provides an outlet for the release of pent-up energy.
- Allows the attainment of higher Spiritual awareness.
Below is a list of some of the more common symptoms of being ungrounded. Usually an individual will encounter the same one or two symptoms each time they are ungrounded.
- a feeling of being ‘spaced out’
- feeling sick
- heart palpitations
- eyes flickering
- weight gain
- static shocks
- falling asleep when meditating
- noise and light sensitive
- having brilliant ideas that never happen
- arguing and unable to get your point across
Here are some of the ways that will help you to feel grounded:
- eating (which may encourage weight gain)
- drinking water
- walking, especially in natural surroundings
- sports, yoga, tai chi
- spending time with animals and activities such as walking the dog
- being purposeful
- carrying crystals (see below)
- visualization (see below)
Crystals and Stones for Grounding
Crystals and stones can be very helpful in the grounding process. Their qualities and attributes assist us to re-group our energies and dispel accumulated negative vibrations allowing for protection, clarity, balance and equilibrium within the body, mind and soul.
It is best to carry crystals and stones in a pocket kept close to you at all times, but carried in a purse or placed in a desk drawer or on a shelf is also acceptable. Tumbled crystals and stones are perfect for this purpose and it is advisable to cleanse and program your chosen crystals or stones before using them.
Here is a list of a few easily obtained crystals that can be used for grounding:
- Black Obsidian
- Gold Tiger’s Eye
- Red Jasper
- Smoky Quartz
Before working with your crystals:
- Cleanse your crystals by running them under cold water for at least one minute. Alternatively, you can smudge them with sage.
- Charge your crystals by placing them in the sun in the early morning for a few hours and then by placing them in the light of a full moon overnight.
- Program your crystals with your intention. For example, “I program this crystal for (state your intention here, i.e. peace and joy) and ask that it work for my highest good and for the highest good of all. And so it is.”
Visualization is the easiest and most helpful tool for grounding. It can be done anywhere at anytime. If you are at home doing this grounding visualization, you may wish to have some soft music playing. Close your eyes and concentrate on breathing deeply.
Begin by letting your body relax. Start at the top of your head relaxing your scalp and eyes. Relax your tongue letting it soften, relax your jaw. Relax your neck and shoulders and down your arms into your hands and fingers. Relax your chest and abdomen. Relax your spine and hips and down into your thighs, calves, feet and toes.
Now imagine you have great, long, sturdy roots coming from the base of your feet (which should remain flat on the floor or ground during the visualization) or, from the base of your spine if you are sitting directly on the floor or ground. Let these roots go down deep into the earth below and let them anchor you to the earth. Breathe deeply bringing the energy of the earth up into your chest and breathe out, pushing the energy back down into the earth. Continue with this cycle for as long as you feel necessary.
When you are done, bring your concentration back to your center. Wiggle your toes and your fingers. Open your eyes. You are now grounded, relaxed and at peace.
Enjoy this short grounding video:
Disclaimer: This page is for informational purposes only. Grounding is a natural method of energy clearing and balancing for the purpose of stress reduction and relaxation and may be used as part of an integrative healing or wellness program. While it may be used entirely on its own, it is not meant as a substitute for medical or psychological diagnosis and treatment. It is recommended that you see a licensed physician or other licensed health care professional for any physical or psychological ailment, whether it be acute or chronic, that you may be suffering from or suspect that you may have.